Friday, 18 August 2017

Two days to go folks . . .

After 27 years (nearly*) in this house, bought rather hurriedly when I took a job in this part of the world and we had to find somewhere which provided living accommodation plus room to work from home and store a certain amount of kit, we only have two more days of "living" here and then one and a half days of moving out. Not all our jobs are completed, but for a couple of people in their early eighties I am amazed at what we have achieved. Our younger son flew across from the USA and helped. Our older son and his partner took away lots of stuff, and our one time daughter-in-law provided her Landrover to ship books to The Station at Richmond.  After a bewildering start we have sold stuff at auction and more than covered our expenses. I have cleared out camera stuff and thanks to Ffordes have done the same with that. We have negotiated with banks and done what we wanted to do even though they make it as difficult as possible.  Local charity shops must think Christmas has come early, and the folks at ABLE, Colburn, near Catterick Garrison were so pleased with all the craft stuff turned out by my wife. It is fast approaching three months since we put our house on the market, and we have needed all that time to organise ourselves, but also to deal with all the questions and queries thrown up by the Estate Agent, and the Legal Eagles acting for ourselves, and also for the buyers.

Its been a nice house with good views and good neighbours with easy access to parts of the countryside that we have loved very much. But, it and its garden got to be too much for us to manage so that great factor of old age, "downsizing", came a calling.

So, a bit of a roller coaster, very tiring physically for oldies who have difficulty in getting up and down stairs, but also encouraging to discover that we ain't actually dead yet. Let us hope that we have a few years left to enjoy our new home and the part of the world in which it is set. And when the shades lengthen, and the evening comes and our work is done, the cemetery is on a lovely hillside (where St. Cuthbert may have visited, and might have been brought during the Viking incursions), with views across the Dee estuary.**

* : 26 years, 9 months, 17 Days according to

** : The history of the parish Church of Kirkcudbright goes back many centuries.  The first church was named after St. Cuthbert, who probably visited the town in the course of his missionary travels.  The name Kirkcudbright may date from the early foundation of a church dedicated to Cuthbert - the "kirk of St Cuthbert".  In 875, when Norsemen raided the coast of Northumbria the monks on Lindisfarne had to flee, taking with them their holy relics which included the bones of St Cuthbert.  One of their sanctuaries was Kirkcudbright.  It is likely that the original building was above the town, where St. Cuthbert's graveyard now stands.  A group of yew trees, planted in 1838 in the older part of the churchyard, indicate its likely location.

No comments:

Post a Comment